• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Campfire Stories
Stories From Around the Campfire

Aint It Great

We were fortunate enough this year to draw a late cow elk hunt. November isn't the warmest time of the year, sometimes. My one son said it is butt crack cold. I still don't know what that means. For the opening weekend I had to work. It seems every time I have important things to take care of, I have to work. Anyway, my two sons and my hunting partner took off without me, but with my old truck, my atv, and my camp trailer. The following is a list of events that took place.

Friday Nov. 9
6:30 p.m. I left for work.
7:00 p.m. They left for hunting about
7:30 p.m. Had a tire blow out on the camp trailer. Shortly after, borrowed appropriate tools from gas station they limped to for changing a tire. Someone forgot all the tools.
9:00 p. m. Arrived at camp site to find the water lines on the camp trailer had frozen.

Saturday Nov 10 Opening day of the hunt.
Arrived at the hunting sweet spot later than wanted. The early hunters were successful but the elk were chased out.
11:30 a.m. Arrived back at camp, tried to start the generator and broke the pull rope.
12:30 p.m. Went to a near by ranch for help with replacing the rope because they had no tools.
2:30 p.m One son headed home. My other son and hunting partner took a nap.

Sunday Nov 11
6:00 a.m. Arrived at the sweet spot, saw the elk, put the stalk on the elk and hunters in a truck came blasting down the road and spooked the elk. Several Hail Mary shots were fired out of frustration.
8:00a.m. Went on a long hike tracking the elk. Gave up after a few hours. Went back to the camp trailer and took a nap.
4:00p.m. Loaded up and headed home. Work on Monday.

Monday Nov 12
7:00a.m. I get off work. My wife, one son and I are getting ready to go hunting. I let the guys use my old 91 Chevy truck for the previous weekend.
9:00 a.m. We start the truck to warm it up for a few minutes. Came out to go and found antifreeze spraying every where. Cracked radiator.
10:00a.m. Started loading everything into the newer truck. ATV has a flat tire.
10:30 a.m. Pull tire off ATV, and head to town. They couldn't get to the tire right away so we ran errands.
12:00 p.m. Arrived home from town.
2:00 p.m. Finally on the road. Oh, did I mention I loaded up the tools?
3:30p.m. Arrived at camp. Did bring a small space heater to try to thaw the pipes under the sink. One can only hope. The furnace was left on hoping that would thaw the pipes. Batteries are dead. No furnace.
3:45 p. m. Start up generator. Batteries are charging, furnace heating up the camper.
4:00 p.m. Furnace fan starts squealing.
4:05 p.m. to 7:00p.m. Trying to fix furnace, unsuccessfully. Feeling glad and blessed to have a space heater.
9:00 p.m. Go to bed dressed in long johns, wool socks and stocking hat.

Tuesday Nov 13
6:00 a.m. My son and I are at the sweet spot.
7:30 a.m. Going on long hike looking for elk.
9:00 a.m. My wife heads to town for a better space heater and a new tire for camper.
11.00 a.m. Back at camper. New space heater works great. Pipes thawed. Life is good. Took a nap.
2:00 p.m. Going hunting, trying a different area.
3:00 p.m. On top of a ridge glassing. Spotted a pickup truck on next ridge over. Saw movement towards the pickup. It was a loan elk. Some one else was having a good week also.
5:00 p.m. Back at camper.

Wednesday Nov 14
5:00 a.m. Woke up to 1/2 inch of snow and still snowing.
6:00 a.m. On the mountain again.
7:00 a.m. My wife heads for home before it snows to much more.
10.00 a.m. Back at camper.
10:30 a.m. Head to town for gas for the generator.
11:00 a.m. Back at camper. Nap.
1:00 p.m. Going road hunting. All the snow melted.
3:00 p.m. Tried going down a steep grade. Started sliding somewhat sideways. Was able to get stopped. Put the truck in 4 wheel drive. Continued down the grade just a little sideways. Stopped on side of road out on the flats to wait for the ground to freeze. My son set up targets and shot his AR 15.
5:00 p.m. Headed back to camper. Still a little slick.
6:00 p.m. Back at camper

Thursday Nov 15
6:00 a.m. Back out after the elk. None. Had a meeting on the mountain. Decided that with all the things to repair, it was probably a good time to head home.
8:30 a.m. Broke camp, headed home.
10:30 a.m. Stopped at the RV dump in our town to empty the tanks. The tanks were frozen. Imagine that. Going home with another project, thawing poop.
10:45 a.m. Arrived home to find some of the horses were out. Put them in and started fixing the fence.

Even though it seems to have been a rough week, things really aren't that bad. Things could always be worse. We are very fortunate to live in the land of opportunity. We are free to go and do and have these awesome experiences that make memories for a lifetime. It's great to be able to do it with family and friends.

During this special time of the year, Thanksgiving, be grateful for your freedoms, your blessings, and give thanks to God for guiding our founding fathers of this great nation, The United States Of America.

Where else can you hunt and fish year round.

Ain't it great.
Until next time.
See ya round the campfire.

Be Careful With Your Pet Names


Pet Names

One should be very careful when naming a pet. My newest, now 1 1/2 years old, is namedphoto of griz "Griz." I went to Montana and bought this good looking female, Chocolate Lab pup. While there I took a picture of a black bear, texted it to my good friend and hunting partner with the question, "Ya like my new lab?" His reply, "What's her name?" I said "Griz." So that's how the pup got her name. I should have put more thought and research into this.

My wife told me about one of her students at our local college, a cowboy on the rodeo team. He had several horses there. She asked him the names of his horses. The red roan was "Red". The blue roan was "Blue." The one with the big ugly mule type head was "Donk." She then asked the name of, "That one over there." His reply was, "He ain't got one. He ain't done nothin' to earn one."

Animals live up to their names. When our kids were little, some friends had a dog named Killer. Killer did bite one of the kids. We once had a dog named Stinky because he liked sleeping in the cat's litter box.

This spring we planted a very small garden - a few strawberry plants, a cucumber, and some tomatoes. The strawberries started coming on and my wife was excited. The strawberries vanished. A few days later I saw Griz in the strawberry patch eating, yup, strawberries. My wife was not happy.

The other day my wife picked a cucumber under the watchful eye and supervision of Griz. Then she picked and ate some ripe tomatoes. Soon after Griz picked and started to eat two ripe tomatoes.

I now realize my error in this name. Bears eat berries and this one likes tomatoes, too. Maybe I should've named her Ducky, or Mallard, or Rooster. I might change her name to "Picker."

Until next time,
See ya 'round the campfire


My Wife Gave Me the Bird for Christmas


Dorian and Melissa with pheasants
The holidays are a wonderful time of year; family, friends, food, and lots of ammo. This year Thanksgiving dinner was at our house. The dinner was great.  Most families watch football on Thanksgiving day. Us? We might be a little redneck, and we raised our kids that way; properly. My youngest son and his friend brought out a lot of pumpkins, about 30 or so. Everyone in our dinner party that owned a gun  brought "them." The key word here is, "them," plural, for lots of guns. We had shot guns, hand guns, rifles, and more. It looked like a military arsenal. Not really. It looked like a normal redneck get together.

"The pumpkins were lined
in the pasture with care,
in hopes that the ammo,
there would be none to spare."

Pumpkins are very hard to kill. They didn't just roll over and die. They just sat there full of holes staring at us, teasing us. So we did what had to be done. Reloaded and fired again and again and again. After about an hour and a half of frustration, the shotgun was used at close range in order to blow pumpkin guts out of their shells. The pumpkins finally gave up.

As parents we tried to teach our kids when they were young the correct places they could stick their fingers. Electrical outlets and the like were not safe. A nose is okay depending on why the finger is there. During the invasion of the herd of wild pumpkins, my daughter told her youngest each time, "Daddy's going to shoot. Plug your ears," and he would stick his fingers in his ears. It's great to see that some parents are raising their kids and teaching them proper. It made me proud. Even brought a tear to my eye.

For Christmas, my wife in all her brilliance, and I mean that seriously, decided to buy pheasants, live ones of course, for the hunters in the family. The week before Christmas we had our official Redneck Pheasant Hunt. We had 12 birds. It had nothing to do with the 12 Days of Christmas. The first thing to do with this kind of activity is draw numbers for the shooting order. I was the lucky number five. I got to see how the others did and either cheer or do some ribbin'.

So this is how it worked. We released the first bird. Number one would get one shot. If the shot was a miss, then we all would go after the bird. Then we did the same with each following number.  It was great to see the dogs working as well as they did.

I told a friend about this activity and his comment was, "Your wife gave you the bird for Christmas."

After all this, my youngest son asked if we could blow something up for New Years.

Oh, what a great time of the year.

Until next time,
See ya 'round the campfire

  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  4 
  •  5 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »

Page 1 of 5

Shopping Cart

Your Cart is currently empty.

Sign In

Sign up to get email alerts and new product notices. And no, we don't share your info with anyone else.

QR Code